Changes to the Country Information pages: Tuberculosis
NaTHNaC has reviewed and updated the tuberculosis (TB) country-specific information
NaTHNaC, in collaboration with UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), has recently reviewed the country-specific guidance for tuberculosis (TB). Further information is available about this review.
Based on this review, country-specific vaccine recommendations have been updated for the following countries:
Armenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Colombia, Honduras, Latvia, Maldives, Qatar and Syria.
Country-specific information can be found on our Country Information pages.
Advice for travellers
The current UK vaccination programme recommends Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccination for some travellers (see below).
Advice for health professionals
In general, BCG vaccination is not recommended for travellers to countries where the annual incidence of TB incidence is < 40 cases per 100,000 population.
BCG vaccination is recommended for the following immunocompetent travellers, staying for more than three months in a country where the presumed or average annual incidence of TB is 40/100,000 or greater and/or where the risk of Multi Drug Resistant-TB (MDR-TB) is high:
- children below 16 years of age who are travelling to stay with friends/family or local people
- healthcare workers in settings that are of high risk of exposure to patients diagnosed with TB particularly MDR-TB.
Also see the UKHSA 'green book' TB chapter for details on those who fit the criteria for vaccination in the UK programme.
- UK Health Security Agency: Tuberculosis by country: rates per 100,000 people
- UK Health Security Agency: TB screening
- World Health Organization TB burden estimates
- World Health Organization Global Tuberculosis Report 2021
- UK Health Security Agency: Immunisation against infectious disease. Tuberculosis. Chapter 32
An important reminder of practical aspects of rabies prevention for health professionals and travellersUpdated: 01 December 2023
NaTHNaC has reviewed and updated country-specific tick-borne encephalitis information and vaccine recommendationsUpdated: 20 November 2023
Cases of dengue have been reported in southern and northern FranceUpdated: 20 November 2023
An outbreak of Nipah virus has been confirmed in IndiaUpdated: 20 November 2023